Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I get a building permit?
A. Come to the Inspectional Services Division at Town Hall, 12 School Street or download the building permit application from the Town Inspectional Services Permits & Applications webpage.

Q. I want to build a house. Can you tell me what I need to do?
A. Come into Inspectional Services and speak with the staff. Prior to issuing a permit, our staff will make sure that all codes and regulations are met, and also review the plans to make certain they comply with zoning and the applicable building codes. Prior to the issuance of a Building Permit, the plans are then given to the Town Planner, the Town Civil Engineer and the Fire Department for their review and approval. Once the foregoing tasks are complete the Permit Technician will contact you to receive your Building Permit.

Q. When do I need a building permit?
A. You need to obtain a building permit for new construction or for altering existing construction. You generally do not have to obtain a building permit to make repairs, although there are exceptions to this rule. Additions, finishing an attic or basement, or changing interior walls are examples of alterations that require a building permit. A wood-burning stove or an indoor hot tub may also require a building permit. In addition, exterior additions such as a deck, pool, fence, shed, or garage require a building permit.

The following are examples of work requiring a building permit. Note, this is not an all inclusive list:
o New construction
o Alteration of an existing building
o An addition to an existing building
o Change in use of a building
o Cutting of part or all of a wall or partition
o Removal or cutting of any structural beam or bearing support
o Removal or change of any required means of egress
o Work affecting structural or fire safety
o Work that increases the non conformity of an existing building
o Work that affects public health or safety

Q. How long does it take to get a permit?
A. By State Law we have 30 days to review a building permit application. Please note that the Permit Technician will contact you when the permit is complete and ready for you to pick-up at Town Hall.

Q. What are the particular permit fees for building?
A. Many different fees apply depending upon what permit you are applying for. Please contact the Permit Technician for further information.

Q. How many sets of plans are needed when requesting a building permit?
A. Two sets of plans are needed: one for Building and one for Fire.

Q. What are the hours of operation for Inspectors?
A. The Inspectional Services Division is open from 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday through Friday.

Q. Is a permit needed for roofing, windows, siding?
A. Commercial and Industrial uses require a permit for roofing, windows and siding. Residential dwellings do not.

Q. What are the setback regulations?
A. Check the Table of Minimum Dimensional Requirements, § 334-27 of the Zoning Ordinance. The Zoning Ordinance, in its entirety, is found on the Town website: click Town Government, then Town Code. Then Chapter 334, Zoning. The Table of Minimum Dimensional Requirements, § 334-27, is on the main page once you click on the Town Code page.

Q. What zoning district is a property located in?
A. Check the Town Zoning Map, which can be found on the Community Development Department webpage.

Q. What is the snow load for Hudson?
A. The ground snow load is 60lbs per square foot.

Q. What is the required height for hand railing?
A. 36in. x 38in. Residential 34in. to 38in. commercial.

Q. What is the required pool height needed for fence?
A. 48 inches.

Q. What information is required to receive a building permit?
1. A plot plan. Exempt from this requirement: aboveground pools, decks, and sheds.
2. Who is the contractor doing the work?
3. What work is going to be done (exactly)?
4. Sketches, drawings, dimensions, plans, size, type of construction (i.e., 2 x 8, etc.)

Q. How do I arrange for an inspection?
A. Contact the Permit Technician at (603) 886-6005 and she will schedule you for the next available appointment. Make sure your site is ready for inspection as a re-inspection fee will be charged to anyone who isn’t ready.

Q. What is the Town of Hudson, New Hampshire Building Code?
• Commercial and Industrial: International Building Code 2009 (IBC) with NH Amendments
• Residential: International Residential Code (IRC) 2009 with NH Amendments
• Electrical: National Electrical Code 2017 with NH Amendments
• Plumbing: International Plumbing Code 2009 with State Amendments